I need to hear from Mom's and Dad's!!!

So I know it’s been a while since I blogged, and I apologize. It’s been a fast moving past couple of weeks.

So I have random things on my mind (who doesn’t??) that I want to get out over the next few blogs. Today’s topic is health and my confusion over mine.

So I went to go and donate plasma this past Saturday, and Sunday diastolic (bottom number) blood pressure was high. My reading was 148 over 113. I got home and started doing research. High systolic (the top number) or both numbers being high is more normal. The top number is your heart pumping blood out to your body; it is basically how hard it has to work to sustain you, as a person. So if you have high cholesterol, blocked arteries, high sodium intake, stress, etc, this is where it is showing up. Like if you have a car, and you run it place to place, but never do an oil change, it will run hot.

But diastolic is your heart at rest. Like having the same car sitting in your garage, not running. Research, after research I have done, no one really talks about/has an answer for that just being the high number. So somehow I am trying to wrap my brain around the fact that when my heart is having to work, it is working fine. But when it is at rest, it basically isn’t slowing down (yeah, like I didn’t already know I was different from everyone else lol) and relaxing. Imagine your pulse staying at an active rate when you are sleeping? Or the same car whose engine revs at 3000-5000 RPM’s when you are in idle, at a stop sign.

So I have already made an appointment for a physical (actually, my loving wife called set it up for me, after I simply said I need to get one). And I am taking water pills (they supposedly lower bp) to try and donate again sometime this week.

But here is what I am confused about, and I throw this out to the other Dad’s. How the hell do YOU relax?? I mean this has made me question how I choose to relax (according to Damary, I don’t spend enough me time unwinding,…hey, there is only 24 hours in a day. Plus I feel guilty, like I am letting the girls and Damary down)? Even when I let my mind wander, I come back to the same 2 thoughts I have had since Ayanna was born (it added when Annabelle was born). I’m either playing basketball for a championship, and I see Damary and the girls cheering me on…I even know the plays I’m running, etc. Very intense. The game usually goes to double overtime. The other “relaxing thought” is I am anchoring a 4 x 400 relay team (for non-track runners, 400 meters is one time around the track), and I come from behind to catch and beat the guy and win. And I see Damary and the girls in the stands cheering me on.

My point is, I think I am like most active Dad’s. We honestly have NO CLUE what it means to relax. I mean there are spas, manicures, pedicures, facials, waxing (okay, that may not be too relaxing, but I bet you just laughed lol), Ladies Night’s at bars/clubs all over the nation for Mom’s (and rightfully so). But for a non-deadbeat, active in our children’s lives, what is there to do?

So I am on a mission. I am going to find a way to relax that is all me. Wow, it was weird to just even type that. But I would love input from Mom’s and Dad’s alike. What do you do, and more importantly, how do you do it and not feel guilty. I realize I am the weird one, and am looking for some guidance.


-Until the Wheels Fall Off
Corey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Fired Up!!!

Where I've Been The Past Week....

Kentucky Derby Marathon Write-Up